Re: chapters

Ali Abdin <aliabdin@aucegypt.edu> writes:

> * John Fleck (jfleck@inkstain.net) wrote at 16:41 on 12/08/00:
> > Ali -
> >
> > I don't think your suggestion of handling <chapter> the same as
> > <sect1> is a problem. I've put together another test kit that includes
> > four documents that use chapters:
>
> Well - you see, I don't want to go ahead and add a whole shit-load of code
> only to find out that <chapter> behaves differently than <sect1>.
>
> So what I would like to know is - why is <chapter> used? When you come to
> write a doc, why would you pick <chapter> instead of <sect1>?

If your toplevel element is <book>, then it contains chapters, and the
chapters contain sect1's

If your toplevel element is <article>, then it contains sect1
directly.

That's enforced by the DND. No more complicated than that.
They are definitely _not_ the same, but perhaps might be treated
similarly in the HTML - probably each should get a new HTML page, and
maybe each should have an entry in the TOC.

Norman Walsh's book (online at docbook.org even), is good for
answering this sort of question.

                                         Owen