Re: Table Issue

On Sat, Aug 12, 2000 at 07:56:48AM -0400, Mike Sangrey wrote:
> Daniel.Veillard@w3.org said:
> >   As sent previously to Ali, I don't suggest to do that. Keeping the
> > original form of the documentation as clean as possible is quite more
> > important than "nice rendering" for one of the generated formats.
> > Hacking the generator to output   is a hack too but located in
> > better place.
>
> Apparently I misunderstood.  I thought Ali's suggestion was to
> force everyone to code their XML with <entry>&nbsp;</entry> tags.
> My suggestion was to give the generator a chance to solve the problem
> by adding a (*EmptyTagCallBack)() to libxml.  The idea was for the SAX

  Not possible, SAX is a standard interface [1] I cannot add random
callbacks to it without annoying a lot of people !

> parser to check whether there was a callback installed, and if there was,
> to call it and let the generator solve the problem.  In other words,
> hacking the html generator was what I was suggesting, too.

   yes that's the way to do it. I just pointed out that one can
detect correctly empty elements with existing SAX callback calls

> I also thought having that callback would allow for other tools which
> use libxml some control over empty tags when using SAX.  It just seemed

  it would not be SAX anymore, and is not needed, reread my mail.

> like a general solution with broad utility.  Designing a DTD so that
> empty tags can't happen would not be generally useful (come to think
> of it, I'm not even sure that's possible); tools will need the smarts.

   This seems possible, but sounds like a bad idea

> Without that callback, the code which uses the SAX parser and needs to
> insist on instances of non-empty tags gets ugly.

   Again, you don't need that callback.

> Sorry, Ali, that I misunderstood.

   You did misunderstood my mail for sure !

Daniel

[1] http://www.megginson.com/SAX/

--
Daniel.Veillard@w3.org | W3C, INRIA Rhone-Alpes  | Today's Bookmarks :
Tel : +33 476 615 257  | 655, avenue de l'Europe | Linux XML libxml WWW