Re: Sect tags

Ali Abdin <aliabdin@aucegypt.edu> writes:

> [Karl Eichwalder]
> > I'd recommend to add those contraints to the GNOME DTD customization;
> > inside the document you can do:

> So this is a 'per-document' thing?

Yes.  But as I tried to say above ("GNOME DTD customization") this could
be in a more general way like it was done for the DocBook DTD 3.1 and
PNG pictures.

> It seems a pain to require authors to include this all the time.

You're right -- nothing should be written twice :) Aside: it's a common
way to add changes to the internal DTD definition just for testing or
for discussion; this practice doesn't imply the new definition will not
go into the external DTD once approved.

> So you're proposing we include a new 'gnome-ext.dtd' thing that gets
> installed or just with the current gnome-dtd (I thought the goal was
> to stop using our own DTD after Docbook had PNG image support (which I
> believe it does now)?

The gnome-ext.dtd has to be made available via a PUBLIC identifier.  As
I said using the proposed customization we're staying 100% compatible
with the original DTD.  And we should even go further to exclude
"unwanted"/"depreciated" elements and attributes...

> I think this is a bit excessive/unncessary :) Especially as there is no DTD
> validation/checking done by the parser (libxml)

But this doesn't prevent you from validating the docs with "external"
tools!

> To be honest - I do not understand what is going with what you
> quoted. Any chance you can explain in detail (does this force the id
> attribute for sect1/sect2/sect3/sect4/sect5? How does it get
> 'enforced' if there is no DTD validation?)

<!DOCTYPE book PUBLIC "-//OASIS//DTD DocBook V4.1//EN" [

<!-- Don't use the attribute definition from `dbhier.mod' -->
<!ENTITY % sect1.attlist "IGNORE">

<!-- Use the official hook "Redeclaration placeholder" to drop in an
     extension; cf. `docbook.dtd' -->
<!ENTITY % intermod.redecl.module "INCLUDE">
<!ENTITY % rdbmods SYSTEM "gnome-ext.dtd">

<!-- This is what I've changed -->
<!ENTITY % local.sect1.attrib "Id ID #REQUIRED">
]>

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=- cut here -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Yes, it has to be done for the other sects, too.

> I would also like to point out at this time, I do not have Docbook 4.1
> installed - I am still using the (ancient?) Docbook 3.1 - Anyone have RPMS
> (and an easy upgrade path?) - I currently have the GNOME DTD installed
> (png-support-3.1.dtd)

It works with 3.1, too.

John Fleck <jfleck@inkstain.net> writes:

> I'll defer to those more expert than myself in the ways of docbook on
> the merits of Karl's solution. Seems like a good technical approach,
> though I agree with Ali that it has practical drawbacks.

I'll work out a more general solution.

> In the interim, however, I've gone through and fixed the sects so they
> all have id's and put up a new set of both sgml and xmls (I broke 'em
> up into two tarballs this time, one with xmls and one with matching
> sgmls for comparison).

Thanks for this.  Your work is very welcome, of course.  Once I've my
setup up and running, I'll try to check the fixed docs with `nsgmls'.

Thanks for considering my proposal.

--
work : ke@suse.de                          |          ------    ,__o
     : http://www.suse.de/~ke/             |         ------   _-\_<,