Re: Sect tags

* Karl Eichwalder (keichwa@gmx.net) wrote at 02:43 on 06/08/00:
> Ali Abdin <aliabdin@aucegypt.edu> writes:
>
> > Okay - apparently some people are writing docs with <sect> tags that do not
> > have ideas. This is _EVIL_ :)
> >
> > Lets just make this a rule starting now :) All <sect> tag's must have id's :)
> > The reason is, gnome-db2html2 builds the Table of Contents from the <sect>
> > tags - the 'links' are created through the sect-id's - If the id's do not
> > exist, then the link just links back to the Table of Contents.
>
> I'd recommend to add those contraints to the GNOME DTD customization;
> inside the document you can do:
>
> <!DOCTYPE book PUBLIC "-//OASIS//DTD DocBook V4.1//EN" [
> <!ENTITY % sect1.attlist          "IGNORE">
> <!ENTITY % intermod.redecl.module "INCLUDE">
> <!ENTITY % rdbmods SYSTEM         "gnome-ext.dtd">
> <!ENTITY % local.sect1.attrib     "Id ID #REQUIRED">
> <!--  ====>>>  ====>>>  ====>>>  ====>>> ^^^^^^^^^ -->
> ]>

So this is a 'per-document' thing? It seems a pain to require authors to
include this all the time.

> And gnome-ext.dtd contains:
>
> <!ATTLIST Sect1
> 		--
> 		Renderas: Indicates the format in which the heading should
> 		appear
> 		--
> 		Renderas	(Sect2
> 				|Sect3
> 				|Sect4
> 				|Sect5)		#IMPLIED
> 		%label.attrib;
> 		%status.attrib;
>
> 	%lang.attrib;
> 	%remap.attrib;
> 	--Role is included explicitly on each element--
> 	%xreflabel.attrib;
> 	%revisionflag.attrib;
> 	%effectivity.attrib;
> 	%local.common.attrib;
> 	%local.sect1.attrib;
> >

> -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=- cut here -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

> This way the document remains 100% compatible with the official DocBook
> DTD, but the parser is able to report missing ID attributes.

So you're proposing we include a new 'gnome-ext.dtd' thing that gets
installed or just with the current gnome-dtd (I thought the goal was to stop
using our own DTD after Docbook had PNG image support (which I believe it does
now)?

I think this is a bit excessive/unncessary :) Especially as there is no DTD
validation/checking done by the parser (libxml)

To be honest - I do not understand what is going with what you quoted. Any
chance you can explain in detail (does this force the id attribute for
sect1/sect2/sect3/sect4/sect5? How does it get 'enforced' if there is no DTD
validation?)

I would also like to point out at this time, I do not have Docbook 4.1
installed - I am still using the (ancient?) Docbook 3.1 - Anyone have RPMS
(and an easy upgrade path?) - I currently have the GNOME DTD installed
(png-support-3.1.dtd)

Regards,
Ali