List of available apps (was: Users Guides vs. Help)

> Why not turn the problem upside down.
>
> That is each app contributes information about itself and then one
> have a dynamic system which creates a list of the installed apps with
> the small description. Thus the list will grow and shrink as you
> install/uninstall programs.

I think this is a nice idea. This could be something like the "Software"
applet of the Windows Control Panel. I like the idea of this control panel,
it's just poorly implemented - most applications support it only as an
uninstall feature.

IMHO this could be a setup, update and uninstall feature. And, when you
select an installed application from the list, it might display a small
description of the application.

> On the other hand it would be nice to have a list of available list
> and just a small note if they are installed or not. Thus if one are
> looking for a financial system one can search and find the name one
> and then install it.

I don't think I would want such a list in my system. I prefer to look for
new applications on the web. But, in a software manager as described above,
why not include a "Find Applications" button that opens a website where I
can do so?

Jörg