Re: Users Guides vs. Help

> Alexander Kirillov <kirillov@math.sunysb.edu> writes:
>
> |        I still think it would be more effective just to list all
> | important applications in the users guide, giving, say, 4-5 lines
> | description of what each of them does (as in gnome software map) and a
> | link to the application's own help. We have tens of important
> | applications; giving even 4-5 pages for each of them in users guide
> | would be too much and difficult to maintain.

I think we need to have system that checks for an app actually being
there before putting docs into the system. E.g., lets say you have
just installed gnomefoo, the hot new gnome app. The index to your help
system should now contain a link to gnomefoo, and perhaps (as Sasha
mentioned) included is a small <sect2> that simply describes the app
and lives in the core docs with a link to the gnomefoo users guide
(which in turn, has a link back to core stuff)

Ideas?

Dave

--

          David Mason