Re: Plans for yelp in 2.17

On Tue, 2006-11-21 at 20:31 +0000, Don Scorgie wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I know this is getting somewhat late in the release cycle, but...
>
> Does anyone have plans for adding stuff to yelp this cycle?  I've got a
> few small things I'd like to see in, but don't know if I'll have time to
> do them.
>
> If everyone is working on "More than 6 month" type stuff, are we just
> leaving yelp as-is for now, fixing bugs and release 2.16.x for the 2.18
> release?

I really wanted to do the new transformation APIs this release
cycle, but I just don't think I'll get to it.  My fianc�and I
are closing on the house we're buying next week, and we'll be
in Germany for two weeks over Christmas.  Between traveling and
moving, I just won't have much Gnome time until after feature
freeze.

> As you probably know, I've been working on Spoon (replacement for
> scrollkeeper).  This is steadily getting there (I'll do a new release
> soon, promise).  It's now near the stage where it could be considered
> for use [1].  For this reason, I'd love to see it used within yelp.  It
> probably won't be ready for 2.18 (and it's too late to propose it), but
> I'd like to push for its inclusion in 2.20.
>
> To do this, it'd need integrated with yelp (work I can do in a branch)
> and also some changes to gnome-doc-utils (as some things are no longer
> available and some things are changed).
>
> The change should require minimal changes to modules outside of yelp and
> g-d-u (as Spoon has utilities to handle new omf file registration etc.),
> so shouldn't disrupt anyone, unless they want it to.
>
> In order to be used (and people start generating scroll files instead of
> omf's), the spec needs nailed down (at least the basics), so if you have
> any comments on it, now is the time to yell.  I intend to alter sections
> of it in light of what I've learnt with Spoon so far, so any comments
> greatly appreciated.  The current (what I posted previously) version is
> available at [2] and an html version can be found at [3].
>
> Thanks
> Don
>
> [1] As in, it has a scrollkeeper-update script which can get through all
> GNOME modules and whatever other omf files are on my computer.
> [2] http://donscorgie.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/help-spec-0.1.5.xml
> [3] http://donscorgie.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/help-spec-0-1-5.html

Don, we've had some conversations about what I'd like to see
on IRC.  I do think this can be hammered down with some work,
but I think it's too late for 2.18.  Ideally, we should have
the infrastructure largely in place at the beginning of the
release cycle it'll be included in.

--
Shaun