Re: xml2po

On Wed, 2005-09-14 at 14:33 +0200, Danilo Šegan wrote:
> Hi Matthew,
>
> Today at 13:47, Matthew East wrote:
>
> > Thanks very much indeed for your reply, which I won't pretend to
> > understand completely, but I hope we can resolve this issue! As a
> > starting point, do you think that if the english document was merged
> > into a single file, and validated with xmllint, the problems would be
> > resolved?
>
> Simpler is this (I mention "xml2po -e" towards the end of my last
> email, sorry if I have been too confusing):
>
>   xml2po -e -o faqguide.pot .../path/to/faqguide.xml
>
> for getting a POT file, and
>
>   xml2po -e -o faqguide.XX.xml -p XX.po .../path/to/faqguide.xml
>
> for merging back a translation in XX.po.

If I've understood correctly, we'll get a single xml file from this
solution, so in order to maintain consistency, we might as well make the
English original document one single xml file too. It shouldn't be too
difficult.

Thanks again for all your help, and I will report back when we've tried.

> Of course,
> there are additional guidelines which would belong in the category
> "writing DocBook for translation" (since DocBook is too powerful and
> scalable for its own good), such as putting <programlisting>s,
> <screen>s, <itemizedlist>s, <figure>s, outside <para>s whenever
> possible so you avoid unneeded <placeholder>s, even if you lose some
> of the original semantics.

We'll try and address these issues in our future documentation, although
it is a bit too late to correct this one I think.

Matt