Re: [gedit-list] Completion survey

Hi Andrea!!

Woh!!! I like vtg!!

I comment all issues down and sorry for my bad english:

El Fri, 7 Nov 2008 13:30:15 +0000 (UTC)
Andrea Del Signore <sejerpz tin it> escribió:

> On Thu, 06 Nov 2008 10:14:45 +0100, Perriman wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I'm developing GtkSourceCompletion (Gsc)
> > (http://gtksourcecomple.sourceforge.net/) and I want to do a survey.
> >
> > Currently I have created GtkSnippets library and I have integrated
> > this library with Gsc. I have developed a provider that complete
> > words written in a GtkTextView, in the Snippets database and words
> > in a file. Another providers like Gedit documents, shows the open
> > documents and, when select, set the focus on the selected document
> > or open the document selected in the Recent Documents page...
> >
> > I need some feedback about the future or roadmap of Gsc. What do you
> > need about Gsc?
> >
> > Examples:
> >
> > - Multiple files completion: Complete files from multiple files -
> > Devhelp completion: Search into the devhelp database and show
> > completion from it.
> > - Command completion: Execute a shell command and show the
> > completion with the command output
> > - Use ctags to complete symbols in the current TAGS file
> >
> > Other features:
> >
> > - Change the API using another programming style. - Use of the
> > completion with other widgets (Not only GtkTextView) like scintilla
> > or a GtkEntry etc.
> >
> > I need your ideas to go in the right way and to do some useful
> > features that we can use.
> >

> > Regards,
> > 	Perriman
>
> Hi Perriman,
>
> I already use Gsc for a toy project of mine and I'm quite satisfied
> with it. You can see it in action here:
>
> http://vtg.googlecode.com
>
> and a video with your completion library is here
>
> http://vtg.googlecode.com/svn/wiki/screencasts/vtg-demo-1.ogg
>

> Like Johannes said I'm interested in the completion infrastructure
> instead of more providers and I've a little feature request:
>
> an API to change the filter after the completion Popup is displayed.

> With that a user can continue to write in the gtksourceview window
> after to proposal popup is displayed and I can filter the proposals
> while typing.

I currently have GscTriggerAutowords. This trigger call to completion
when the user writes directly in the GtkTextView with a delay.

Really, this trigger call to a new completion when the user writes a
new character instead of call to completion once and when the user
writes a new character, filter the current content (with the filter).

I will add a new filter type to the popup. Something like
"HIDDEN_FILTER" and you can call to completion once and then change the
current filter by code without display the filter widget and without
get the focus. With that you could show the popup without the filter
visible and the user can write into the GtkTextView an you can modify
the filter programmatically.

> As a side note I experienced some performance issue during the
> creation of the proposal object, but I don't know if is a
> glib/gobject problem or a Gsc specific one. Anyway be aware that
> usually when completing a GtkWidget the proposals can be as high a
> 500 items (413 IIRC).

I will change an internal management of the apply signal in the
proposal. I think this is very slow because when you create a new
Proposal, it register an apply signal with a default function. I will
remove this apply signal in the proposal and I will add a new apply
function in the iface and, If you want to change the default apply
function, you will must to overwrite this function instead of connect
to the proposal apply signal. I think it is a lot of faster than
register and connect to a signal.

> Last but not least the deb packages are compiled with a lot of debug
> messages turned on ;)

Sorry, It was my first package and I had a lot of problems and forget
clean the debug messages.

> Have a nice day and thanks for all your work. Regards,
> Andrea
>
> P.S.
> I think that the Devhelp plugin will be great if integrated in a
> "calltip" component.

+1

Regards,
	Perriman