Re: [Anjuta-devel] Anjuta 1.x vs 2.x: RFC

Hi Biswapesh,

On Wed, 2002-06-05 at 08:08, Biswapesh Chattopadhyay wrote:

> OK
>
> Thanks to Dave, Naba and all those people who responded to my initial
> (rather frustrated and probably a bit rude) mail about 1.x and 2.x. I'd
> like to sum up things as they stand now, and then propose a solution.
>
> Disclaimer: These are entireky my personal opinions as a contributor to
> Anjuta 1 and in no way reflect what will/should actually happen.
>
> Current Situation:
> ------------------
> 1) Anjuta 1.x and 2.x are totally different code bases and share
> virtually no code (TagManager/Symbol browser excepted)
> 2) There are no (or very few) developers contributing to both codebases.
> 3) Anjuta 1.x is quite usable and stable at this point.
> 4) Anjuta 2.x codebase is not likely to reach a stable release before a
> couple of months at least.
>
> Proposal:
> ----------
>
> 1) Let the 1.x developers stabilize the code and make a 1.0 release
> ASAP. The next release should be called 0.99.1 or 1.0beta or 1.0RC1 for
> something of this sort. Barring major roadblocks, teh release after that
> should be 1.0.
> 2) Once 1.x has released 1.0, reasses the situation whether AN2 is in a
> beta state. If not, port AN1.x to GNOME 2 and release it with the GNOME2
> fifth-toe release (or whatever they are calling it these days).
> 3) New features being developed on the 1.x codebase should be as
> de-coupled from Anjuta 1.x code as possible, so that they can be
> integrated into 2.x codebase with little or no difficulty. Under this
> head will come the new TagManager/Symbol browser, the templating system
> for project/code generation, etc.
> 4) We should start an immediate effort to port Scintilla to GTK2, so
> that it can be used as a editing widget for both anjuta 1.x-G2 and
> Anjuta2.

Yeah, would be cool to have another editor available for anjuta2. I
would be willing to write some bonobo code to make scintilla into a
BonoboControl.

> 5) Any new effort which is likely to be reusable by both projects should
> be cross-posted to both MLs (gnome-devtools + anjuta-devel).
> 6) Whatever final decision comes out of this discussion should be posted
> to the Anjuta website, so that people know what's happenning.
>
> That's about it. Corrections, opinions, additions, discussion, flames
> welcome as always ;-)

Sounds all good. I'm not sure though whether the "develop for both 1.x &
2.x" i s technically possible/feasible (with the different IDE
frameworks and all).

Jeroen