Anjuta 1.x vs 2.x: RFC

OK

Thanks to Dave, Naba and all those people who responded to my initial
(rather frustrated and probably a bit rude) mail about 1.x and 2.x. I'd
like to sum up things as they stand now, and then propose a solution.

Disclaimer: These are entireky my personal opinions as a contributor to
Anjuta 1 and in no way reflect what will/should actually happen.

Current Situation:
------------------
1) Anjuta 1.x and 2.x are totally different code bases and share
virtually no code (TagManager/Symbol browser excepted)
2) There are no (or very few) developers contributing to both codebases.
3) Anjuta 1.x is quite usable and stable at this point.
4) Anjuta 2.x codebase is not likely to reach a stable release before a
couple of months at least.

Proposal:
----------

1) Let the 1.x developers stabilize the code and make a 1.0 release
ASAP. The next release should be called 0.99.1 or 1.0beta or 1.0RC1 for
something of this sort. Barring major roadblocks, teh release after that
should be 1.0.
2) Once 1.x has released 1.0, reasses the situation whether AN2 is in a
beta state. If not, port AN1.x to GNOME 2 and release it with the GNOME2
fifth-toe release (or whatever they are calling it these days).
3) New features being developed on the 1.x codebase should be as
de-coupled from Anjuta 1.x code as possible, so that they can be
integrated into 2.x codebase with little or no difficulty. Under this
head will come the new TagManager/Symbol browser, the templating system
for project/code generation, etc.
4) We should start an immediate effort to port Scintilla to GTK2, so
that it can be used as a editing widget for both anjuta 1.x-G2 and
Anjuta2.
5) Any new effort which is likely to be reusable by both projects should
be cross-posted to both MLs (gnome-devtools + anjuta-devel).
6) Whatever final decision comes out of this discussion should be posted
to the Anjuta website, so that people know what's happenning.

That's about it. Corrections, opinions, additions, discussion, flames
welcome as always ;-)

Rgds,
Biswa.