Re: GNOME development tools; A more United future?

Hi Andrew!

On Sun, 2001-09-02 at 10:48, Andrew Hill wrote:
> Jeroen Zwartepoorte wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have one question: how does this tie in/work with gnome-db?
> >
> > Jeroen
> >

> Hello Jeroen.
>
> No it doesn't work with gnome-db.  It was designed initally to and I
> have worked
> with the gnome-db people before on other projects.

yes, but unfortunately, I haven't heard too much from you for a long
time. I even saw all of you unsubscribing from the gnome-db mailing
list, so I even thought you are no longer interested in cooperating? :-(

> Version 006 of bond
> with the newest
> version of GEAS would work with gnome-db.  But i've moved bond away from
> GEAS so
> no more gnome-db unforuntly.

but you can still use libgda-client (based on Bonobo) instead of libpq,
and have, as an extra, access to several DBMS, not only Postgres.

> The problem is that I need backend information from the postgresql
> database like
> what are the relationships, what type is this field, how was this table
> created,
> what is the view definiation, what does this value default to etc.  And
> this is
> very very database server specific, where i need to query the backend.
> Gnome-db isn't
> designed for getting this kind of information.

hmm, yes, gnome-db is designed to get this kind of information. Some of
the things you mention, such as the types of the fields, the definition
of views, is already available in gnome-db. Of course, some things are
missing, in which case you just have to send me a mail with your
proposal, and if it makes sense, it would be added to gnome-db.
The architecture is made to allow this kind of extensions, so it's
really, really easy to add all this.

> In previous versions of bond this information was stored, and had to be
> created, seperatly,
> so it was possible to use gnome-db.

and still is, really :-)
Specially since libgda is almost 100% ported to GLib 2.0, which is
something that interested you some time ago, if I remember correctly.

cheers