Re: (no subject)

On 19 Apr 2001 18:20:19 +0200, Owen Fraser-Green wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I was just wondering if someone could post a status report rather like Dave
> Camp's "What we're doing" post back in September. Unfortunately I was
> involved in another talk at GUADEC while the devtools talk was going on.
> Also, the gide and glade sites seem to be down at the moment.

Yes they do, I'm trying to figure out where to move the stuff to.
Basically the state of things is that gIDE has now become a shell that
embeds bonobo components.  There is a corba/bonobo plugin system and
just about everything is now done as a plugin including the debugger,
project manager and document editor.  Debugging is being handled by
gnome-debug (although it is not all hooked up yet).  There is a
gnome-build module that is doing project management/building.  Stuff
somewhat works but things are currently buggy and there are a lot of UI
issues.

> I'm also very interested in the work done on the GNU Program Analysis
> Framework. Is the project still active? I noticed there hasn't been much
> activity for a few months. It strikes me that this would form an excellent
> basis for editors (syntax highlighting and tab completion), code wizards,
> class diagrams etc. etc. Also, I came accross a paper on XML-based exchange
> in Harmonia (see http://www.cs.berkeley.edu/~harmonia/publications/harmonia-
> pubs.html). If gpf used something like this wouldn't this give the ability
> to parse different languages and environments through the use of new XML
> descriptors?

Well the harmonia project is actually what the original GPF author was
working from.  The original author is at jamess1 wwnet com if you want
to discuss things with him.  It would be great if you picked up this
project, it was originally intended to do basically the things you
detailed above.

-JP
JP Rosevear                             jpr ximian com
Ximian Inc.                             http://www.ximian.com