Re: This hardened MS DevStudio user just got CVS gIDE to run :-)

--- David Malcolm <thetreesurgeon yahoo co uk> wrote:
> I don't know how many people are playing with gIDE
> at
> the moment, but after much trying I've finally got
> CVS
> gIDE running on my machine.

Great!

> I say "running"; there are a few problems with it,
> which I could list, but it is CVS bleeding edge
> stuff
> and I'm running some quite old versions of some of
> the
> dependencies.  There're plenty of functionality in
> there which works on my machine.

I'm sure there are _heaps_ of problems, not just a few
:) You can always report them, chances are we haven't
even seen them yet (since we (or at least I) develop
gIDE, not really use it).

> In case anyone else out there is trying this, here's
> what I did to get it running.  Hopefully some of
> this
> will be useful information to other people wanting
> hack on GNOME/gIDE who have experience with MS tools
> but not with the GNU toolchain and find this sort of
> thing overwhelming.  Perhaps this could evolve into
> FAQ answer?

Once it stabilizes, yes. For now a lot of stuff (as
I'm sure you noticed) is still cvs only, which needs
to change before we can make a release.

> - starting with my battered Red Hat Linux 7 x86
> machine...
> - installed new hard drive since I had hardly any
> space left

That's not gIDE's fault :)

> - set up a directory structure consisting of
> "my_prefix" to which everything is configured to be
> installed plus subdirectories called "stable_source"
> and "unstable_source"
> - Wrote a shell script to set up various environment
> variables to "my_prefix"; specifically it sets the
> following
>         export PATH=<my-prefix>/bin:${PATH}
>         export LD_RUN_PATH=<my-prefix>/bin
>         export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=<my-prefix>/bin
> - Grabbed loads of tarballed packages off the GNOME
> ftp site and installed them to the prefix (using
> "./configure --prefix=<my-prefix>", "make", "make
> install"); specifically, these versions seemed to
> work
> well together:
>         stable ORBit-0.5.7
>         stable gnome-libs-1.2.13
>         stable control-center-1.4.0.1
>         stable gnome-print-0.28
>         stable gnome-vfs-1.0
>         stable libglade-0.16
>         stable libxml-1.8.11
>         unstable oaf-0.6.5
>         unstable bonobo-0.35
>         unstable gdk-pixbuf-0.10.1
>         unstable gnome-vfs-0.4.2
>         unstable gtkhtm-0.8.3
>         unstable libunicode-0.4

I'd replace at least bonobo and gnome-vfs by the
released versions, although I haven't tried them
myself..

> Not all the above are necessarily needed, also I
> can't
> remember what order I installed them.  But they seem
> to work now :-)
> - Checkout of CVS gal, gdl, gnome-build, gnome-debug
> and gIDE.  Your mileage may vary.  I had to hack the
> configure.in of gnome-build and gnome-debug to
> remove
> a seemingly spurious requirement to have "unicode"
> (either this, or the libunicode wasn't installing
> itself properly).  Set them up using "./autogen.sh
> --prefix=<my-prefix>", "make", "make install".

That doesn't sound right. They should both just build.

> - Type "gIDE" and enjoy...
>
> can you give me an idea of what functionality ought
> be working and what isn't implemented yet, so I can
> try breaking it!

Look at the TODO file. What isn't listed there is
supposed to work :-) I don't think any functionality
is finalized yet, everything still needs work. I
myself would be interested to know which of the
plugins you find useful and which you don't... I just
ported them from the old gIDE but haven't cleaned them
up yet. For instance the prototype generator needs a
bit of Love ((c) Miguel) but others do too.
I just don't have access to cvs right now, otherwise
you'd be able to try and break the plugin manager :)