Re: [Gnome-devtools] What we're doing.

On Sat, Sep 09, 2000 at 07:15:18PM -0500, Andrew Sutton wrote:
> if you really want to know, i'm going through the process for our next
> product...
>
> 1. vision statement - define the conceptual vision for the software.
> usually accompanied by some system drawings and use cases (for how
> people may use the system).
>
> 2. system specification - describe the capabilities of the system in
> relation to users and other systems (external interfaces).
>
> 3. software requirements - describe specific requirements of the
> software and the external interfaces. uses an object model for the
> problem domain and use cases for more fine grained examples of system
> use.

We're really not working one these three.

> 4. design - after analyzing requirements to establish a particular
> design. this should include an object model for the solution domain and
> message trace diagrams for specific scenarios. also, lay out
> classes/module attributes and methods, etc.. you're typical design
> document.

Whether we want to work on this is dubious IMHO. While UML <--> code
generation may sound nice, I'm guessing it'll give you pretty icky
code (as any generated code).

I'm missing implementation here, which is really the only part we're
actually writing/integrating tools for at the moment. Kind of a big
omission, isn't it? ;)

> 5. testing - lots of testing. component (unit) testing, verification
> testing, system verification. ugh it's alot. usually done by describing
> test philosphies (test plans) and methodolgies (test procedures).
>
> 6. deployment - distribution/delivery/activation - whatever.
>
> 7. maintenence - hopefully we wrote well enough to not ever do.

Martijn