Re: [Gnome-devtools] Emacs

Masatake YAMATO wrote:
> Mark wrote:
> > I'm part of the gtkeditor project so I will comment breifly. My
> > motivation is taking editing far beyond that of programs like emacs.
> Very interesting. You know how to use high performance CPU.

> > don't use emacs, but as I understand it uses regular expessions, scripts
> > (elisp), and bindings as a method of extending it to handle different
> > languages. These features alone have proven to be very powerful.
> Yes!
>
> > What I
> > hope to acomplish in the future is an editor that truely knows about the
> > language (syntax and semantics), that can point out errors in the
> > program structure before compilation (saving a lot of time), can assist
> > in writing code through knowledge of how the program should look (pretty
> > printing) and how it could look (completions, and hints).
> Very interesting. But at last I think you will implement gcc on the
> top of gtkeditor:) But I wonder why you don't implementat such interesting
> features on the top of Emacs?

The goal curently is a program database. I've previously named this glf
(gnu language analysis framework), although I'm not sure this is the
proper name for it. It will store a versioned attributed abstract syntax
treewhich is updated incrementally. The editor will then become a view
for the database. So really any editor should be able to access the
database and use the information. The really cool thing here is that you
can have multiple view/controlers of the data and the changes made by
one controler will effect all views that choose to listen to the
event.I also plan to integrate existing batch text-based tools, so if a
file is loaded in the database and you update from cvs or save from a
text editor this will automatically be incorperated into the database.
There is a ton of usefull tools that can be written around this
framework, and all these tools can share information, thus creating sort
of an IDE without the need for a single unifing application.

> I think gtkeditor is not good name for such a big project.
> At first time I see the project name "gtkeditor", I assume that
> gtkeditor is a new widget like gtkbutton, gtklabel, gtkmenu.

You might be right there, but as I stated above the editor (in this case
gtkeditor) would only be a view, so really it is mainly concerned with
the display of the information and should be pretty lightwieght.

Mark