RE: Java and Bonobo communication via CORBA

Michael,

First of all let me say that I appreciate the assistance you've given me and
hopefully forthcoming wisdom :)  This area seems somewhat unexplored to me
(Java -> Bonobo) except for the Monkeybeans project which seems to have
ended before it began from what little source was available.

As far as what I'm trying to do:  Essentially I'm trying to access the
Personal Calendar Server and Personal Addressbook Server components of
Evolution to build a synchronization tool with Java.  From what I can tell I
will probably also need to access the base Storage components in order to
create folders and what not.

So, if I understand you right, I should be able to fork the
activation-client with a certain query (using the OAF query language?  If so
a good pointer would help immensely as all the docs I've found have very
superficial examples) which will yield an IOR to the actual object I  would
like to access.  Once I have this IOR I can communicate with the component
via public CORBA interfaces?

An example as to what to give the activation-client to activate say the PCS
would be really useful.

As far as using the Activation Context idl directly, I was able to query the
available servers and even activate an object, but once I tried to do
anything with that object it would hang indefinitely.  Also, when I updated
to the latest stable version of the Gnome environment the IOR I tried using
(/tmp/orbit-{user}/bonobo-activation-server-ior) could not be parsed by any
IOR parser I found, nor did Java's CORBA like it.

Thanks for your help!

-Patrick