Re: gtkhtml2 vs. gtkhtml1

On Tue, 2002-09-17 at 17:36, Miguel de Icaza wrote:
> You might want to factor things in.  For instance, Evolution has a
> dependency on GtkHTML 1 at this point because of its editing features.
> Since this is a requirement right now, and the Evolution team is quite
> busy doing a number of very peripheral changes to Evolution, none of
> which involve large hacking of gtkhtmlXX, you can assume that this code
> base will be maintained and developed.
>
> Maybe adding editing to GtkHTML2 is possible, I do not know, but I do
> know that two developers have concentrated on it for almost two years to
> get a nice and fast editing widget.  It might not be trivial to port the
> code over.

i totally understand your interests and there is a lot of valid points
in your reply. but also understand my points. if you embedd gtkhtml1
into evolution (like a hidden subdir) then it's fine. you can then port
it over to gtkhtml2 over time. the problem now is that there are apps
available for gnome 2 that use gtkhtml2. let's assume following
situation:

developer A starts programming an application where he uses gtkhtml2
because he assumes it's part of gnome 2.x. he starts developing the
app for well. half a year. then one day the evolution developers
decide to port it's code to gnome 2.x. the discussion of which html
library to use comes up again. agreement will be made using gtkhtml1 now
what do you think how the person (that investigated months into his
project) will do ?

the whole question didn't came up if evolution 1.2 was the gnome 2.x
port. we already agreed which html widget we use - end. probably we
already use some first betas of evolution gnome 2.x. but now we need
to wait another X months (i assume 1st or 2nd quarter next year) until
we see evolution starts porting to gnome 2. that is another 6-9 months
from now. not to mention how much more time and effort a 3rd party
programmer who uses gtkhtml2 spent and that project is becomming
worthless because of such a decission. please don't think limited to
yelp and evolution only.

i fear that this discussion will enlighten a big flame. but better
decide now that too late. please decide what to use for the future now
and protect other people wasting months of development for nothing.

--
Name....: Ali Akcaagac
E-Mail..: mailto:ali akcaagac stud fh-wilhelmshaven de