Re: Grammar problems in gnomecal

> > Quoting from the first message in this thread, here are a few of the
> > problem translations:
> >
> > > Recur on the 1st Monday   -- Povtor{ja}etsja v 1yj ponedel'nik
> > > Recur on the 1st Thursday -- Povtor{ja}etsja v 1u{ju} sredu
> > > Recur on the 2nd Thursday -- Povtor{ja}etsja vo 2u{ju} sredu
> >
> > Notice that the translation of "1st" is dependent on the following word?
> > That is the problem.  Unless I am mistaken, libglade will not make this
> > any easier.  Furthermore, the english rules for deciding on a suffix for
> > the day number (st, nd, rd or th) may not map very well onto the target
> > language.
> >
> > This is a difficult problem.
>
> I think the idea is that you have a completely different UI, if the
> semantics of one UI simply can't translate into another language.
>
> i.e. you dont have buttons/options that look like that at all,
> but something more appropriate for the grammar.
>
> Since libglade supports 'dynamic ui's, it seems at least an option.

 Well, what I was trying to say in the original message, is that
interface should not be based on any type of the language structures.

 There should be completely different interface, which would not be as nice
as current one for the English speaking user, but would be easier to map into
different languages.

E.g.

 x |  Day of the month: [ 24 ]   |

 o | Week of the month: [ 2 ]    |
   | Day of the week: [ Monday ] |

["of the month" and "of the week" are redundant and could be omitted.]

 Sergey