Re: [gnome-db] Comments on Vala Extensions effort

On 12 March 2012 19:52, Daniel Espinosa <esodan gmail com> wrote:
Vivien,

Do you have any comment about my work on Vala Extensions?

To be honest I haven't had a lot of time lately (very busy at work...), and because I can't compile the Vala extension on my box, I haven't had the opportunity to "play" with it (even though I'd like to see it and discover Vala). I've only looked at the code in  libgda/libgda/data/ to try to figure out how the classes are organized (BTW, I could not get Gaphor to work on my Fedora 16 box...) Could you send me a PDF (or other format) of the UML diagram you made?

I've added some examples for Object persistences; I will for Tables. I really think your comments about will be great! Including the ones for my comments and ideas about meta store.

Yes, I saw these examples, many thanks for including them.

I really think that may be we can expose some meta store methods (implementation made by providers) to allows others to use that information in its applications/libraries skipping SQLite storage. In my case I can access directly to improve performance; my Vala extensions gets the metainformation from GdaMetaStore and map it to GObject/Properties. Don't forget that they are C/GObject too, you can use in your C code if you want.

Please let me know what are your comments, suggestions and doubts on my work, in order to continue.

I think what you're doing is great, I simply see it from a distance at the moment. I really need to spend some time to be able to compile the vala extension.

Plans:

a) I've reached Milestone 2: Implement DbTable interface
b) I'll implement DbSchema and DbCatalog interfaces
c) Check for Vala to add "inline SQL commands": SQL statements that could be part of your Vala code like LinQ does for C#

Finally, because implementations at b) are important for a first preview of this technology, could you tell me your release plan for 5.2 in order to see if they will be ready on time or I need to move my plans to 5.4.

I don't have a fixed plan for the 5.2 (I guess a few months at most would be good, but it also depends on what you think).

However, I think it is necessary to have come documentation about the Vala extension in the "official doc" in doc/C, with:
- what features are available in the Vala extension (a summary of all your work, with the UML diagram to help undesrtand)
- how to use the vala extension from vala and from C (maybe other languages?)
- a description of each class (GdaData::DbTable, ...)
So maybe before starting new implementations within the Vala extension, it would be better to spend some time on the doc, and then release 5.2, what do you think?

Anyway, thanks a lot for all the work you've put in that project!