Re: [gnome-db] Will you deprecate GdaDataModelQuery? and other questions

On Feb 9, 2008 11:49 AM, Daniel Espinosa <esodan gmail com> wrote:
> 1. I found that you plan to deprecate GdaQuery on libgda 3.2/4.0, but
> GdaDataModelQuery needs a GdaQuery to create a new one, then may be is
> better to deprecate

GdaQuery is replaced by another object (GdaStatement) which will be
used as a replacelement in the
GdaDataModelQuery object.

> gda_data_model_query_new (GdaQuery *query)
>
> to have:
>
> gda_data_model_query_new (GdaDataModel *model)
>
> and leave GdaDataModelQuery Object to use GdaQuery internaly.
>

> 2. In 4.0 and/or 3.2 witch will be the procedure to INSERT, UPDATE,
> DELETE rows in database?

Same as 3.0: use a GdaDataModelQuery or directly run SQL statements

> By now I think you need From a GdaQuery (deprecated) get a
> GdaDataModel, create a GdaDataModelQuery (autocalculate the required
> GdaQuery) and then (optionaly) use a GdaDataModelProxy to do it.
>
> For the new 4.0 and/or 3.2, i think you could:
>
> >From the GdaDictTable get a GdaDataModel (representing a
> GdaDataModelQuery with the autocalculated GdaQuery internaly and all
> the data in the table), then use a GdaDataModelProxy (optionaly) to
> modify the data in the database. I think this will be the simpliest
> way to use GDA.

This sort of mechanism will be implemented in the data models returned
by the providers.

> If you agree I can create the funcition in GdaDictTable to do the last
> one, and then deprecate GdaDataModelQuery.

GdaDict and related objects will also be removed.

I've just committed the first compiling version in the V4 brench, if
you want to test it.

Cheers,