Re: [gnome-db] gda_connection_update_meta_store() is slow

2008/12/16 Murray Cumming <murrayc murrayc com>
On Tue, 2008-12-16 at 13:35 +0100, Vivien Malerba wrote:

> 2008/12/16 Johannes Schmid <jhs jsschmid de>
>         Hi!
>
>         This is not yet implemented in libgdamm though - I will take
>         of it soon.
>
> Maybe it's better to define an easier to use API (either in the C++
> wrapper or in the C implementation) because the current one is still a
> bit rough...

I don't have a sense yet of all the things the meta store can do, but I
would at least like some convenience functions to get the common obvious
things such as
- the list of tables
- the list of fields for a specific table

Getting information out of the meta store can already be done using:
* gda_meta_store_extract () for very specific needs (one needs to know the internal database structure and use SQL)
* gda_connection_get_meta_store_data() which is more formal
* a GdaMetaStruct object which is very easy to use and works very well for tables and views

Where the API is still rough is regarding updating the meta store's data with the database structure (or populating it the first time), where one at the moment can only use gda_connection_update_meta_store().