Re: [gnome-db] libgda2, creating tables

2006/9/14, Neil Williams <linux codehelp co uk>:
Rodrigo Moya wrote:
>>> I suggest that you use this version and not the current and obsolete
>>> version.
>> Sorry, completely unrealistic. I'm not willing to use unpackaged and
>> AFAICT unreliable code.
>>
> libgda 1.9.10x are mostly betas for the upcoming 2.0, so using them you
> invest in time not needed later to port your application to the new
> API :-)

OK, that's reassuring.

Most of the developers helping in gda/gnome-db are working in projects using gda and/or gnome-db, and I think they are changing much code any time the API changes. I think we need to make stable de API ASAP, in order to create examples, polish bindings, create the documentation and help the other projects in his work.

>> I've tried chasing and backporting unstable/CVS versions of libraries
>> with another package and it really is not fun.
>>
> you should be able to compile libgda, libgnomedb and mergeant tarballs
> on a stable system with no problem. And if you find any problem in doing
> so, we'll fix it immediately. That is, there is nothing in
> libgda/libgnomedb/mergeant that needs unstable GNOME libraries

I thought I was going to be able to package this little plugin this week
so I'll still need to wait for a libgdaX-dev package in Debian before I
restart work on the plugin. It won't take long and the work I've done so
far is mostly still useful, it's the work from here on that is going to
need the updated libraries.

To help this project to grow, we need policies about the API and Futures Freeze, and if necesary make API or Futures Freeze Break, in order to send a message that we have a Quality Assurance Process in the project; I think that if any one wants a API break or Future add, need sends a request to the mantainers and if they consider procedent make the change or request opinion to the community before make any change, then other developers could be adviced when the API or Futures change.

Currently I'm creating some convenient functions, as discused with Vivien, in order to have a quick access to Gda, then if you approve them, may you can add them. More that it, this functions could help others to just call gda_create_table(..) and his code run becouse the implementation of that function could be adapted to the current version of the API.

I just finishing the Glade3 integration, added te conditionals for GLib 2.12, reviewing the GnomeDb# and Gda# code, and making some test in order to send a patch, but most of that (even the convenient functions) need an API freeze and Future Freeze.

Why Future Freeze, becouse both Glade3 catalog and GnomeDb#/Gda# need be updated each time any new widget is added, and need a test process.

Then PLEASE, stablish a API and Future Freeze status ASAP, and concentrate the efforts in make stable the code.

"de grano en grano, se hace la arena" (R) (entrámite, pero para los cuates: LIBRE)