Re: [gnome-db] Environment for building db applications needed

On Friday 16 September 2005 18:04, Neil Williams wrote:
> On Friday 16 September 2005 5:28 pm, Francisco Santiago Capel Torres wrote:
> > Hi everbody,
> >
> > I am looking for an environment to build database applications.
>
> Is this a user-environment or a developer-environment?
>
> I'm working on a framework that is developing in this way but it's not
> there yet. I use XML to describe generic data, that can be converted (using
> perl) into a C application that uses the framework library to handle SQL
> queries on that data. It's alpha code and currently it's only just ready to
> link against gda. In particular, the code to convert the XML into C is very
> early stuff.
>
> > - I store the definition of my database(s) in a data dictionary (xml).
>
> Tick. (Data is stored with the definition, the perl script takes the
> definition to create the C, the C reads the data.)

I have done the same as you but in C++. It is part of a whole application for
charities or NGOs. I create XML data dictionaries and then a C++ program
reads that XML files an creates C++ classes with the code to read and write
to the database.

But this approach is valid for a monolithic database appliation. But what I am
looking for now is to build an evironment for the user to create
applications. So it must be, I think, an interpreted language.

> > - The application reads the data dictionary and is able to create all the
> > tables, indexes, relations, etc...
>
> Tick. Almost. It generates one application per xml definition but they can
> be combined. This is not a user task.
>
> > - I store the definition of my forms in a set of xml files created with
> > glade.
>
> It uses XML but not glade files. Glade would be quite restrictive on the
> types of data allowed, the framework uses a generic XML.
>
> > - The application loads those files and, based upon the data
> > dictionary, is able to format the fields, put names to the labels, read
> > and save the data onto the database, etc.
>
> I'm concentrating on a more fixed set of objects that will be used over and
> over, not arbitrary sets at runtime. That's down to the real-time use of
> the library in GnuCash.
>
> > In summary, I am looking for an engine that is able to read all the
> > definition and logic of a database application
>
> I've got that.
>
> > and run that application,
> > with the aid of some scripting language.
>
> That too, but in C not a scripting language.
>
> > In this way, the aplication could run in any environment, and it would be
> > possible to create any kind of database application.
>
> It's close but I don't think it's quite what you intended.

Wow, we have been doing a very similar stuff. But now, I have decided to go
for something else, something similar to Rekall or Access.

Thanks!

> http://qof.sourceforge.net/

Visit my blog: http://respetaralagnostico.blogspot.com
Francisco Santiago Capel Torres