Re: [gnome-db] Little API problems

2005/9/15, Murray Cumming <murrayc murrayc com>:
> On Thu, 2005-09-15 at 02:15 +0100, Chris Silles wrote:
> > > Thanks, but isn't that an incredibly complicated way to create a
> > > database?
> >
> > Hi Murray,
> >
> > Indeed, it does seem rather complicated.. However in the circumstances, it
> > seems like the best available option.
>
> Maybe there's some previous discussion that you could point me to. It
> looks like someone thought about this a lot at some point.
>
> But is there, for instance, any database provider for which the database
> name should not be specified in order to create a new database.? If it's
> always needed then it should be a regular parameter. If something is
> needed 90% of the time then it should be a regular parameter that can be
> null. Let's try to keep the common cases easy while allowing the
> uncommon cases.

Well for example the SQLite provider only needs a file name to create
a database, whereas postgres needs many parameters, and no file name,
so there is really no common parameter between all the providers to
create databases.

However, for parameters which are common to some providers (such as
the database name), then the corresponding parameter will always be
the same ("DATABASE" in this case); it's the best we can do.

Note that I intend to extend that mechanism to tables creation and
altering as there is no common SQL between the providers to do such
tasks.

Cheers,