Re: [gnome-db] database integration for GNOME 2.12

> > So, I'm asking here for ideas on how we could better integrate databases
> > into the GNOME desktop. So far, some (crazy) ideas:
> > * create a db-filesystem, like the WinFS thing on longhorn. That would
> > be a gnome-vfs module that offers a category-based filesystem for
> > gnome-vfs-based applications. Thus, users could use a database file
> > (SQLite) or a big database (for saving files from many applications)
> Good idea. The problem is that databases usually don't like to store
> big binary files for performances reasons... Also How would it be
> integrated with things like Beagle or Storage (I've never tried any,
> though)?

This would be very useful,  there was a Samba VFS module that made a
virtual filesystem from an ODBC datasource.  Unfortunately it was never
picked-up/maintained and now seems to be gone [ and I lost my local
copy :( ]

Something like this for GNOME-VFS I think would be very useful,
particularly for places (like us) that already have a database oriented
document management system.

From rom Samba mail archive:
"
"