Re: [gnome-db] database integration for GNOME 2.12

On Thu, 2005-03-03 at 13:59 +0100, Vivien Malerba wrote:
> On Thu, 03 Mar 2005 11:48:57 +0100, Rodrigo Moya <rodrigo gnome-db org> wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > Some time ago I was asked what plans I had for GNOME 2.x, and I asked
> > 'database integration'. So, now, in the roadmap for GNOME 2.12
> > (http://live.gnome.org/RoadMap), as it was in previous roadmaps, there
> > is that item.
> >
> > So, I'm asking here for ideas on how we could better integrate databases
> > into the GNOME desktop. So far, some (crazy) ideas:
> >
> > * create a db-filesystem, like the WinFS thing on longhorn. That would
> > be a gnome-vfs module that offers a category-based filesystem for
> > gnome-vfs-based applications. Thus, users could use a database file
> > (SQLite) or a big database (for saving files from many applications)
> >

> Good idea. The problem is that databases usually don't like to store
> big binary files for performances reasons... Also How would it be
> integrated with things like Beagle or Storage (I've never tried any,
> though)?

not sure if they would use gnome-vfs directly to search (which I think
beagle does) or we would have to write a module for beagle to search in
databases.

Which is, indeed another idea, to write a module for Beagle to let it
search in databases via libgda. There is some documentation about this
here: http://beaglewiki.org/

> > * have mergeant finished and include it as part of the GNOME desktop
> >

> Mergeant is quite useable and in my point of view the missing features are:
> -> database creation
> -> database structure creation and modifications
> -> reports generation.

great, we could try to get 1.0 out at the same time as GNOME 2.12?

> Quite some time ago someone proposed to create a Nautilus view to
> manage data sources, like there is for fonts:// for example. I ithink
> that would be nice. At the time it was objected that the data sources
> were not files and so Nautilus had nothing to do with them...

that is not a good idea, given that nautilus hackers don't like those
kind of views
--
Rodrigo Moya <rodrigo gnome-db org>