Re: [gnome-db] XML + flex + bison + SQL volunteer coders wanted

On Tue, 2 Nov 2004 23:36:54 -0700, Neil Zanella <nzanella gmail com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I want to start yet another new open source project to do something simple:
>
> I want to take the whole SQL99 grammar and formulate an equivalent standard
> based on XML. It's going to be a 1-1 mapping, except I'm going to be using XML
> syntax. And there's going to be an XML parser to swithch between the two. The
> name of the new language will be called XQL (but will never get started unless I
> have some volunteers, but perhaps libgda already does this??? If so, please
> direct me to your parser/converted code!!!

There has been some work into that, it's called XML queries, and I'd
really like to see the providers implementing that. All the
libgda/gda-xql-* files are part of this, but the documentation is very
limited - look into the code.

The idea was to create queries in an XML syntax, and let the providers
translate that XML into their own SQL like syntax. Having the reverse
process would also be nice.

There is also a SQL parser in libgda (in libsql/) which creates its
own tree of nodes, and does not support all the SQL99 features, but
rather a big subset of it.

If you want to go into this, then you are welcome!