Re: [gnome-db] Re: question: in memory table representation: please help

On Tue, 2 Nov 2004 09:46:52 -0700, Neil Zanella <nzanella gmail com> wrote:
> On Tue, 2 Nov 2004 17:11:16 +0100, Vivien Malerba <vmalerba gmail com> wrote:
[...]
> Basically, each user is going to be connecting to different databases,
> so the database connection XML files need to be user defined connections
> stored under /home given that they are implemented. The DTD files however,
> in my case and many others, need to be system files, only writable by the
> superuser and simply readable by others. So we need two files here for
> security reasons.

The DTD is stored outside of the dictionnary XML file, it's a system wide file.

> > The missing code is to translate a MgDbTable object into a SQL
> > statement to create the table (CREATE TABLE...) or update its
> > structure (ALTER TABLE...).
> >
> > I plan to add these features after the merger with libgnomedb: from
> > what I have understood from your first messages, you want that
> > feature.
>
> It would be a nice feature. It helps recreate the database from scratch.
> Especially since I am also going to allow users to export data as INSERT
> statements. This is for maximum portability.
>
> > If the feature you want is simply generating the INSERT/UPDATE/DELETE
> > statements to insert/update/delete data from that table, then
> > Libmergeant has an object to do that and it already works (the API to
> > access it will be changed to use the generic GdaDataModel interface).
>
> That's cool, but can I make the file containing the SQL schema description
> a system file rather than a user file (i.e. a file shared by all users
> on my system).
> I think it's not to hard, just that I don't know if it's implemented
> at this stage.

At the moment, all the dictionnary (including database structure
description) is stored in one single file which can be located
anywhere. You could have one such file per user, and allow only
reading and not writing to the file. Anyway, I believe the security
implementation should be done exclusively by the DBMS, not by the
client libraries (create accounts and groups of users in the DBMS).

> Also, you merging with gnome-db and not with libgda. Now that gnome-db has a
> Makefile for windows (which I presume works), it doesn't matter much I suppose
> but if there's anything GUI about your code which is not going to run on windows
> then I suggest integrating the library part with libgda (or gnome-db),
> and leaving
> the rest as a separate compatible module.

The WIN32 makefiles are for libgda (which has no GUI part), not for
libgnomedb. AFAIK there is no port of any gnome component to WIN32.
Libgda works under Windows, but not libgnomedb.

> I would also like to know if your library compiles on win32 at present

I've never even tried (I don't have any Windows to test on and I don't
know enough about the WIN32 API anyway). However if you could make it
work, I'd be happy to have a Windows port!

> and what CVS commands to issue to check out the library.

You'll find all the information on http://www.gnome-db.org/download.php

Cheers,