Re: [gnome-db] XML + flex + bison + SQL volunteer coders wanted

On Wed, 2004-11-03 at 09:28 +0100, Vivien Malerba wrote:
> On Tue, 2 Nov 2004 23:36:54 -0700, Neil Zanella <nzanella gmail com> wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I want to start yet another new open source project to do something simple:
> >
> > I want to take the whole SQL99 grammar and formulate an equivalent standard
> > based on XML. It's going to be a 1-1 mapping, except I'm going to be using XML
> > syntax. And there's going to be an XML parser to swithch between the two. The
> > name of the new language will be called XQL (but will never get started unless I
> > have some volunteers, but perhaps libgda already does this??? If so, please
> > direct me to your parser/converted code!!!
> >

> There has been some work into that, it's called XML queries, and I'd
> really like to see the providers implementing that. All the
> libgda/gda-xql-* files are part of this, but the documentation is very
> limited - look into the code.
>
> The idea was to create queries in an XML syntax, and let the providers
> translate that XML into their own SQL like syntax. Having the reverse
> process would also be nice.
>
> There is also a SQL parser in libgda (in libsql/) which creates its
> own tree of nodes, and does not support all the SQL99 features, but
> rather a big subset of it.
>
> If you want to go into this, then you are welcome!

yes, indeed no need at all to start a new project. The gda-xql* API was
working pretty well last time I tested it, so the only thing missing is,
as Vivien says, to add support to providers to allow clients to send XML
queries as commands.
--
Rodrigo Moya <rodrigo gnome-db org>