Re: [gnome-db] proposing libgda/libgnomedb as part of the GNOME platform

On Thu, 2004-06-10 at 13:14 +0200, Murray Cumming wrote:
> More importantly, there will be some resistance to putting libgda in the
> Platform before it has been used by an application in the Desktop. And
> when a Desktop application uses it, we prefer to see the library live in
> the Desktop for at least one cycle. But it's worth suggesting anyway,
> because it is unreasonable to expect a platform to also justify itself
> by providing the applications that use the platform.

Thinking about this some more:

1. Eventually we will have a proper GNOME Office release set, and that
will use libgda, so it won't need to be used by the Desktop.

2. libgda is never likely to be used by the Desktop, because the Desktop
does not need to use databases - the Desktop does simpler stuff than
that. libgda should be added to the Platform some day just to provide
the development platform, not because it's a dependency for something
else.

--
Murray Cumming
murrayc murrayc com