Re: [gnome-db] proposing libgda/libgnomedb as part of the GNOME platform

> Hi
>
> I have been thinking for a long time about maybe proposing libgda and
> libgnomedb as part of the GNOME developer platform.
>
> This will involve us following GNOME release schedules (1 every 6
> months) and commit to the UI, string and code freezes at the same time
> than the rest of GNOME modules. This will put on us a bit more pressure,
> since we'll have to be a bit more strict on how and when we do the
> releases, and when we add new features, etc.
>
> On the other side, it will give us much more visibility, and will allow
> many of the GNOME apps that use those libraries to have that support
> compiled in always in a default GNOME setup. It will allow also to
> propose at a later time applications like Mergeant, Glom, etc
>
> So, what do people think? Should we go ahead and propose it for
> inclusion, or just continue to be a part of GNOME Office and ship only
> with that?

I'd vote for that proposal for the reasons you mentionned, but first I'd
like to go over all the library calls and remove the ones which are seldom
(or never) used, or which seem innapropriate (clean up the code).

This code cleanup is necessary because I believe being in the GNOME dev.
platform means we won't be able to change the API quickly (we'll have to
mark some as deprecated first, etc).

I was thinking mainly about the XML queries (which are not yet useable,
and putting somme efforts into them would be nice), and also with the
get_schema stuff (make sure all the get_schema implementations return the
same things), the GnomeDbBrowser, GnomeDbIconList, GnomeDbQueryBuilder,
etc.

Also the documentation needs some work (for libsql for example) and it
needs to be able to display into devhelp.

Cheers,