Re: [gnome-db] proposing libgda/libgnomedb as part of the GNOME platform

I am concerned that some of the new API is not implemented by all
providers and might never be (such as the changing of field
definitions). If that will be normal then we might need some way to
discover provider capabilities. Actually, I know I suggested that API in
the first place, but I don't think it's a good idea now. I think that
converting the data in the fields is time-intensive and lossy even if it
a can be done.

I am also concerned that some provider behaviour might always be
dependent on the backend. For instance, the postgres provider can not
report whether a field is a primary key or whether it auto-increments.

I am also starting to think that there might still be some const
problems in the API. I will try to remove all the warnings (there are
far too many) from libgda and maybe that will tell me more.

More importantly, there will be some resistance to putting libgda in the
Platform before it has been used by an application in the Desktop. And
when a Desktop application uses it, we prefer to see the library live in
the Desktop for at least one cycle. But it's worth suggesting anyway,
because it is unreasonable to expect a platform to also justify itself
by providing the applications that use the platform.