Re: [gnome-db] proposing libgda/libgnomedb as part of the GNOME platform

> I have been thinking for a long time about maybe proposing libgda and
> libgnomedb as part of the GNOME developer platform.
> This will involve us following GNOME release schedules (1 every 6
> months) and commit to the UI, string and code freezes at the same time
> than the rest of GNOME modules. This will put on us a bit more pressure,
> since we'll have to be a bit more strict on how and when we do the
> releases, and when we add new features, etc.
> On the other side, it will give us much more visibility, and will allow
> many of the GNOME apps that use those libraries to have that support

And distributions would probably be more timely in providing a reasonably up to
date copy.  I currently get gda installed via Ximian/Novell/SuSe's Mono
channels (red carpet).

> compiled in always in a default GNOME setup. It will allow also to
> propose at a later time applications like Mergeant, Glom, etc
> So, what do people think? Should we go ahead and propose it for
> inclusion, or just continue to be a part of GNOME Office and ship only
> with that?

It is nice that it is supported in Gnumeric and Abiword,  but moving into apps
like Mr. Project, GnuCash, etc... would really be a boon.  Maybe this would
help  GNOME-Db get considered for things like that.  Just my two cents.