Re: [gnome-db] [mergeant] Status ?

On Wed, 2004-01-21 at 15:27 +0100, Vivien wrote:

> >> One for all the UI stuff, yes; keeping libgda small and efficient for
> >> non
> >> UI applications is IMO a plus.
> >>
> > yes, right, libgda should be kept small, as it is today. But for the UI,
> > not now, but at a later time (post mergeant-1.0?) we should think about
> > merging the two libraries. There could be the simple cases, as libgnomed
> > is now, and, apart from that, a data dictionary widget(s), which is what
> > is in mergeant now. I'm not saying to remove one or the other, but to
> > merge them in one UI library.
> >
> > In fact, what is preventing us from doing that now, for libgnomedb 1.2?
> > We could just merge the current libmergeant into libgnomedb, would that
> > be ok at this point?
> >

> I agree with having only one UI library in the future, it's going to be
> easier for all the developpers.
>
> Libgnomedb is quite stable and libmergeant is not yet stable (still some
> bugs and the API is still changing often), so I think it's better if we
> wait for a rather stable version of libmergeant before we merge the two
> libraries.

ok, let's wait then for post mergeant-1.0 to do it.

> I'm at the moment writing a complete application with libmergeant which
> allows me to fast-debug it and make it more useable.

what kind of app is that? Is it similar to mergeant? I ask because
mergeant HEAD needs a lot of love, and myself haven't been able to
dedicate any time at all to it.

Could you also please commit the stuff you've got for libmergeant you
mentioned in your other mail? Also, would you have a little time to at
least start the basics in mergeant HEAD and then let other people
continue with the development? I stopped working on it, apart from
because of lack of time, because I had to have a deep look at
libmergeant to continue, and time didn't allow me to do that, so if we
could have a bit of help from you in starting the development in HEAD, I
guess that would be great.