Re: [gnome-db] [mergeant] Status ?

>> > Is there a roadmap ?
>> > I found
>> > http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gnome-db-list/2003-June/msg00067.html
>> > but can't understand purpose of libmergeant vs. libgnomedb
>>
>> Libgnomedb provides widgets on top of libgda; libmergeant uses
>> libgnomedb
>> and also provides widgets (form, grid, etc) but they are more powerfull,
>> and the big drawback is that they require a data dictionnary and they
>> consume more memory. Depending on what an application has to do, it may
>> be
>> wiser to use libgnomedb's widgets or libmergeant's widgets.
>>
>> For instance the libgnomedb's form widget works with a GdaDataModel and
>> lets the programmer display data contained within the data model. AFAIK,
>> it does not allow direct editing of the displayed data,
>>
> it is going to allow it for 1.2.

Great, however, I believe that for complex data sets, the library needs to
'understand' the database structure (foreign keys, data types, etc) and
requires a dictionnary. So it's good if libgnomedb can do many things
without a dictionnary, and keep the usage of libmergeant for more complex
situations.

>> At one point in the future, it is possible that these two libraries
>> merge,
>> but for now they are separate.
>>
> I think the long term plan would be to have only one library for all.

One for all the UI stuff, yes; keeping libgda small and efficient for non
UI applications is IMO a plus.

Cheers,