Re: [gnome-db] User space providers

On Sun, 2003-09-21 at 23:50, Adam Williams wrote:
> > > I wouldn't want to set extra directories, i thought more in terms of
> > > incorporating the filenames into the config file. I'll do a prototype
> > > and show it around to explain what i mean
> > well, I mean we could have this as an extra feature. By default, it will
> > look in the system-wide directory and in the user's directory. If there
> > is, apart from that, more directories specified in the config file, it
> > will also look in them.
>
> Is it (will it be) possible to disable this "looking in the home
> directory" for providers?  Or will setting noexec on /home prevent it
> from loading shared libraries from their anyway?

yes, this is perfectly possible. We can use the system-wide
libgda/config file and add there a key to disable/enable looking in
users' $HOME.

> Someday, hopefully, GNOME will offer the ability for admins (like me) to
> manage user session configuration like we can in WinY2k.  It seems like
> the above would be part of that.

I think there are some plans about this for GNOME 2.6. Maybe you can
join the discussion and give your ideas. IIRC, the discussion was in
desktop-devel-list gnome org, so you should be able to see the archives
there.