Re: [gnome-db] User space providers

On Sat, 2003-09-20 at 18:40, Danilo Schoeneberg wrote:
> On Sat, 2003-09-20 at 16:10, Rodrigo Moya wrote:
> > On Sat, 2003-09-20 at 15:14, Danilo Schoeneberg wrote:
> > > Hi Crew,
> > >

> > > As Rodrigo suggested, it would be a good idea to integrate the gnomedb
> > > configuration with the gnome-control-center. I've completed the basic
> > > skeleton and the UI of an appropriate capplet. While doing so the idea
> > > of user space providers sprang to mind.
> > >
> > hmm, what's wrong with the gnome-database-properties applet in
> > libgnomedb? It is a control center applet, and shows up in the Desktop
> > Preferences menu.
>
> Well for me there's only one thing wrong with it - it isn't there
> *shrug*

hmm, did you install libgnomedb in a different prefix than the rest of
GNOME? If so, you need to create a link from
$gnomedb_prefix/share/control-center-2.0/capplets/database-properties.desktop to $gnome_prefix/share/control-center-2.0/capplets.

> > > The idea of allowing user space providers is to enable users (other than
> > > the administrator) to install additional database providers outside
> > > libgda's provider directory. This would allow user to install for
> > > instance a tuned/optimized version of an existing provider. I already
> > > know what would have to be done to libgda to enable that, but I didn't
> > > want to do such a heavy modification without some sort of consent from
> > > the gang.
> > >
> > sounds good, and it's not really a huge modification. You just need to
> > change libgda/gda-config.c to look for an extra directory, in the user's
> > home, and look for providers there. As you'll see after looking at the
> > code, the modifications needed are quite small. You just have to add a
> > list of directories to search for, and repeat the code there is right
> > now for searching in $prefix/lib/libgda/providers, for each directory.
> >
> > We could also take advantage of this to have a way for sysadmins to
> > specify other directories to search for providers. There could be an
> > entry in the system-wide config file that can be uses to specify those
> > extra directories.
>
> I wouldn't want to set extra directories, i thought more in terms of
> incorporating the filenames into the config file. I'll do a prototype
> and show it around to explain what i mean

well, I mean we could have this as an extra feature. By default, it will
look in the system-wide directory and in the user's directory. If there
is, apart from that, more directories specified in the config file, it
will also look in them.