Re: [gnome-db] User space providers

> > > sounds good, and it's not really a huge modification. You just need to
> > > change libgda/gda-config.c to look for an extra directory, in the user's
> > > home, and look for providers there. As you'll see after looking at the
> > > code, the modifications needed are quite small. You just have to add a
> > > list of directories to search for, and repeat the code there is right
> > > now for searching in $prefix/lib/libgda/providers, for each directory.
> > > We could also take advantage of this to have a way for sysadmins to
> > > specify other directories to search for providers. There could be an
> > > entry in the system-wide config file that can be uses to specify those
> > > extra directories.
> > I wouldn't want to set extra directories, i thought more in terms of
> > incorporating the filenames into the config file. I'll do a prototype
> > and show it around to explain what i mean
> well, I mean we could have this as an extra feature. By default, it will
> look in the system-wide directory and in the user's directory. If there
> is, apart from that, more directories specified in the config file, it
> will also look in them.

Is it (will it be) possible to disable this "looking in the home
directory" for providers?  Or will setting noexec on /home prevent it
from loading shared libraries from their anyway?

Someday, hopefully, GNOME will offer the ability for admins (like me) to
manage user session configuration like we can in WinY2k.  It seems like
the above would be part of that.