Re: [gnome-db] GnomeDbForm

On Thu, 2003-10-30 at 11:12, Rodrigo Moya wrote:
> On Thu, 2003-10-30 at 14:46, Laurent Sansonetti wrote:
> > On Wed, 2003-10-29 at 17:57, Rodrigo Moya wrote:
> > > Again, thanks to you and to Laurent for all the work on this. I am too
> > > busy myself to work on all that right now, so having you both working on
> > > this is just great! Just remind me to buy you some beers if we ever meet
> > > :-)
> >
> > Hey, I would be happy to do the same, just tell me if you guys visit
> > Belgium once ;-)
> >
> maybe in next FOSDEM :-) (I went 2 years ago to Brussels for that, so
> who knows, maybe I'll go again)

Cool, I went only this year, but I will be here for the next one
(probably to help some guys for a talk/tutorial about Ruby-GNOME2).

If you come I will show you the real dark power of some Belgian beer ;)

> > BTW I'm currently stunk on implementing GdaValue in Ruby (this is very
> > hard to provide good Ruby design with this kind of class), but once this
> > will be finished, I will try to provide an universal test case, that
> > Paisa and me could use to test our upgradable data model stuff.
> >
> what are the problems you've got with GdaValue? If they are easily
> fixable without breaking too much the API, it is now a good time to do
> the modifications in HEAD, before we freeze for 1.2

Well, these problems are related to Ruby, not to the C implementation.

I don't want to 'translate' C interface to Ruby, e.g. to have this:

  # val is a Gda::Value
  val.string = 'foo'
  val.integer = 123
  # etc... for all data types supported

I would prefer to have a single method/operator, like this:

  val.value = 'foo'
  val.value = 123
  # etc...

Which is a better interface I think.

Or I can provide both interfaces.  I just need to talk to the rest of
the team (which is the long and tedious part :p), after that
implementation should come fast.

Since we talk about HEAD, it would be nice to provide GLib types for all
libgda classes/structures.  Despite the fact that it's not really
important for C applications, it helps very much implementing bindings
in some programming languages.  For instance, I had to bind myself
classes without GLib types into GBoxed, to implement them easily in
Ruby.

Also, providing real GLib enums/flags would be helpful in the same way.

It shouldn't be so difficult to do, so if you want I can mark this on my
TODO list, and try to provide a patch as soon as possible.

Cheers,

--
{ "Laurent" => "http://lrz.samika.net"; }