RE: [gnome-db] Compiling libgda in cygwin

On Wed, 2003-03-26 at 08:56, Andres Moya wrote:
> El lun, 24-03-2003 a las 20:30, Fernando Martins escribió:
>
> > you might want to check this thread on former tries to compile on cygwin.
> > There are other threads on the list you might want to look for.
> >
> > http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gnome-db-list/2002-August/msg00063.html
>
> Ok, I've read this. But my problem seems to be "earlier" that the
> questions shown there.
>
> It seems to be related to the gnome-autogen tool, included in
> gnome-common. It does not find any of the components and libraries it
> needs to work -> autoconf, automake, libtool, etc., although they are
> actually there (I have used all of them to build other packages).
>
> I think it's about gnome-autogen configuration (perhaps I have to define
> some environment variable, or give some paths to the tool), but I don't
> know where to start looking for. Gnome people theirselves say that
> gnome-common is a GNOME internal tool, not intended for use by external
> people :-?
>
> http://lists.gnome.org/archives/gnome-hackers/2002-October/msg00103.html
>

> > You might also want to consider compiling with MinGW.
>
> Sorry, but this is not an option, for now. I would like to continue with
> Cygwin, because I have already done quite work with other packages.

given how the code is written in libgda, which makes it (mostly) not
depend at all on a linux/unix system, I still think the best solution
for this is to create win32 makefiles, and not use
autoconf/automake/libtool at all, which, as we've already seen, makes
things difficult.

So, I'd propose to get the makefiles that are in the glib-2.0/gtk-2.0
sources, which are done for MS's make and gcc (AFAIR) and use them as
templates to create new win32-specific makefiles for libgda. I think
this is going to be easier.