RE: [gnome-db] The ODBC provider?

On Sat, 2003-01-11 at 17:01, Daniel Morgan wrote:
> Here are the instructions on how to step on Rodrigo's toes... :-)
>
> Basically, this involves porting from libgda 0.2.196 to libgda 0.9.
>
> 1. Get a copy of the source from libgda 0.2.196 which was the last in the
> 0.2.x series.  This included a working ODBC provider written by a unixODBC
> developer.

that was Nick himself :-)

> ftp://ftp.gnome-db.org/pub/gnome-db/sources/v0.2.96/libgda-0.2.96.tar.gz
> The working ODBC provider can be found in providers/gda-odbc-provider.
>
> 2. Either get libgda source from libgda cvs HEAD or get libgda 0.9

use CVS HEAD please, if possible, or the snapshots in www.gnome-db.org,
since there are a few changes in the API that are not in 0.9

> ftp://ftp.gnome-db.org/pub/gnome-db/sources/v0.9.0/libgda-0.9.0.tar.gz
>
> The skeleton for an ODBC provider can be found in providers/odbc.
>
> 3. Have a working ODBC implementation on your computer via unixODBC or
> iODBC.
>
> http://www.unixodbc.org/

I guess Nick will choose this one :-)

> 7. Read the libgda documentation about creating a libgda provider.
> http://www.gnome-db.org/docs/libgda/libgda-providers.html

right, I forgot about this one. It is not too complete so, Nick,
anything you want to add/fix/remove to that documentation, please feel
free to do it.

> 8. Take a look at how the other providers are implemented for 0.9, such as,
> MySQL, PostgreSQL, etc...

as I already said, postgres is the best example, and, also, again, use
CVS HEAD for any development.

> 9. Begin porting.... Ask questions on the gnome-db mailing list or join us
> on irc.gnome.org in channel #gnome-db
>
> 10. Step on Rodrigo Moya's toes...  (provide a patch)

well, Nick has permissions to do whatever he wants on the ODBC provider,
so a patch won't be needed unless, of course, Nick wants us to review
it.