RE: [gnome-db] The ODBC provider?

Here are the instructions on how to step on Rodrigo's toes... :-)

Basically, this involves porting from libgda 0.2.196 to libgda 0.9.

1. Get a copy of the source from libgda 0.2.196 which was the last in the
0.2.x series.  This included a working ODBC provider written by a unixODBC
developer.
ftp://ftp.gnome-db.org/pub/gnome-db/sources/v0.2.96/libgda-0.2.96.tar.gz
The working ODBC provider can be found in providers/gda-odbc-provider.

2. Either get libgda source from libgda cvs HEAD or get libgda 0.9

ftp://ftp.gnome-db.org/pub/gnome-db/sources/v0.9.0/libgda-0.9.0.tar.gz

The skeleton for an ODBC provider can be found in providers/odbc.

3. Have a working ODBC implementation on your computer via unixODBC or
iODBC.

http://www.unixodbc.org/

http://www.iodbc.org/

4. Have access to a working database including client software, such as,
PostgreSQL, MySQL, etc...

5. Make sure you have a odbc provider for the database you want to test
with, such as, the PostgreSQL ODBC provider or MyODBC for MySQL, etc...

6. Have a working ODBC DSN setup for your database in the ODBC setup files
odbc.ini or odbcinst.ini

http://www.unixodbc.org/odbcinst.html

You can either edit these files directory, or use the unixODBC tool
odbcinst.  I think there is a GUI setup tool for KDE and GNOME; it may not
be included with your distribution.  You might have to go to unixODBC cvs to
get it.  There is a tool with unixODBC called isql that can help you make
sure your connected.

7. Read the libgda documentation about creating a libgda provider.
http://www.gnome-db.org/docs/libgda/libgda-providers.html

8. Take a look at how the other providers are implemented for 0.9, such as,
MySQL, PostgreSQL, etc...

9. Begin porting.... Ask questions on the gnome-db mailing list or join us
on irc.gnome.org in channel #gnome-db

10. Step on Rodrigo Moya's toes...  (provide a patch)

Other links of interest:

ODBC Programming Tutorial
http://www.unixodbc.org/doc/ProgrammerManual/Tutorial/navi.html

A neophyte's guide
to getting unixODBC and Mysql/MyODBC working
http://www.unixodbc.org/unixODBCsetup.html

Have a nice day,
Daniel