Re: [gnome-db] The ODBC provider?

On Sat, 2003-01-11 at 15:44, Nick Gorham wrote:
> Rodrigo Moya wrote:
> > On Sat, 2003-01-11 at 15:07, Adam Williams wrote:
> >
> >>Is there any news on the ODBC provider being brought up to date?
> >>

> > no :-( nobody gave it a try. I was thinking to take over it in a couple
> > of weeks or so, if nobody starts on it, since we really need this to be
> > full supported for 1.0.
> >
> > Of course, if somebody steps on my toes on this, I'd appreciate it :-)
>
> OK, I have put this off for too long, mainly because I have had problems
> in the past getting all the gnome libs up to date. I have a couple of
> clean boxes here with RH 8 on. I will try and get it all sorted on that.

cool!! Thanks a lot Nick.

> Can someone give me a list of the bits I need, and what needs doing with
> it ?

the porting work was only started, so there are only a couple of
functions implemented (_open_connection and _close_connection). The rest
must be ported from the 0.2.x series. When I say porting I mean almost
reworking the provider, since the API has changed a lot (for good) in
the GNOME 2 releases.

You just have to implement all the GdaServerProvider methods
(libgda/gda-server-provider.[ch]) in the ODBC provider
(providers/odbc/gda-odbc-provider.c).

For returning data, you may want to implement your own
GdaDataModel-based class (as the other providers do) or use one of the
available ones, like GdaDataModelArray, GdaDataModelHash.

For a good example, look at the postgres provider, which is the most
advanced one.