Re: [gnome-db] Oracle, Table Names and Progress

On Wed, 2003-02-05 at 09:24, Vivien Malerba wrote:

> I would like to have the following  kind of information, for every object we want
> information on (Tables, views, sequences, triggers, ...):
> -> information on how to get the fully qualified name (ie in postgres
> schema.table_name for example), this means getting separately the name
> of the object and the name of the "namespace" the object belongs to (so
> that namespace_name.object_name is the fully qualified name of the
> object)

wouldn't be easier to just add a parameter to all the schemas to
indicate if what you want is just the name of the object or the fully
qualified name?

> -> for every object, a flag indicating if the object can be accessed
> using only the object name (without prepending the namespace name).
> -> for every object, a list of flags describing what the user which is
> connected can do on the objects (select, ...)

> This kind of "logical view" would be IMHO very close to what Oracle and
> Postgres implement and allow the following features to be easily
> implemented:
> -> by default show only objects which the user has rights on and which
> do not need to have the namespace prepended to be accessed
> -> show objects of a selected namespace as an option
> -> all the objects as an option
>
> This idea necessitates the following implementations:
> -> a or implement the GDA_CONNECTION_SCHEMA_NAMESPACES schema to get all the namespaces

hmm, but namespaces is PostgreSQL nomenclature. For Oracle, that would
be schemas, for others might be different. Anyway, namespaces sounds ok
to me, so if people implementing Oracle/other providers agree on using
that name, let's do it.

> -> a modification of most of the schemas to add a column to return the
> namespace to which the object belong to, and a column to describe the
> rights on the object (except for the GDA_CONNECTION_SCHEMA_FIELDS and
> GDA_CONNECTION_SCHEMA_PARENT_TABLES schemas)

that sounds good ok

> What do you think?
>
> I think it would also be nice to have a GDA_CONNECTION_SCHEMA_USERS
> which would return the list of users (and maybe some other information
> about each user).

it's already in the header files (GdaConnectionSchema enum in
gda-connection.h). So, it just needs documentation for the fields to be
returned and the implementation in the providers.