Re: [gnome-db] Proposals for mergeant

Rodrigo Moya <rodrigo gnome-db org> writes:

> On Mon, 2003-12-15 at 22:55, Andreas Rottmann wrote:
>> mike <mike redtux1 uklinux net> writes:
>>
>> > As mergeant is not really finished yet, these are my ideas about what I
>> > would like to see in it, based on my experience with access (love it or
>> > loathe it, it is pretty much the standard in desktop DB tools in
>> > windows)
>> >
>> [snip]
>>
>> On a related issue, what are the general plans for adding scripting
>> support to mergeant?
>>
> the plan is to use the same scripting implementation than the rest of
> GNOME Office, which is what you can find in the gnome-office module in
> GNOME CVS. As you can see from that code, it is still unfinished, since
> we still have to make all GNOME Office apps agree on that.

Ah, this is interesting. Haven't heard of that yet.

>>  Now that I more-or-less stopped my C++ DB
>> development efforts[0] and got more involved in coding Scheme (Guile),
>> I wonder what people here think about Guile-enabling mergeant.
>>
> The idea behind the GO scripting system, is that it will support any
> language, since you have to write a simple plugin for each new language
> you want to support.

Nice idea; coincidently, I've done a similiar thing for C++[0], so I
have some experience in this area (wrt to Python and Guile/GOOPS).

>>  There is already a minimal, but basically working Guile binding
>> for libgda in my Arch repository[1], as part of the guile-gtk
>> project[2], so there is a base to build upon. I think adding a
>> scripting language to mergeant would carry enormous potential (just
>> think of VBA used in Access and add the power of Scheme to that).
>>
>> [1] http://www.rhinosaur.lan/~andy/Software.html#gnuarch
>>
> oh, this is great! Please keeps us informed of any news on those
> bindings. I can't access that page though.

Stupid me. Cut'n'paste without looking is no good; a working URL
should be: http://stud3.tuwien.ac.at/~e9926584/Software.html#gnuarch

[0] http://ucxx.sourceforge.net/

Andy
--
Andreas Rottmann         | Rotty ICQ      | 118634484 ICQ | a rottmann gmx at

Any technology not indistinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced.
   -- Terry Pratchett