Re: [gnome-db] Proposals for mergeant

On Mon, 2003-12-15 at 22:55, Andreas Rottmann wrote:
> mike <mike redtux1 uklinux net> writes:
>
> > As mergeant is not really finished yet, these are my ideas about what I
> > would like to see in it, based on my experience with access (love it or
> > loathe it, it is pretty much the standard in desktop DB tools in
> > windows)
> >
> [snip]
>
> On a related issue, what are the general plans for adding scripting
> support to mergeant?

the plan is to use the same scripting implementation than the rest of
GNOME Office, which is what you can find in the gnome-office module in
GNOME CVS. As you can see from that code, it is still unfinished, since
we still have to make all GNOME Office apps agree on that.

>  Now that I more-or-less stopped my C++ DB
> development efforts[0] and got more involved in coding Scheme (Guile),
> I wonder what people here think about Guile-enabling mergeant.

The idea behind the GO scripting system, is that it will support any
language, since you have to write a simple plugin for each new language
you want to support.

>  There
> is already a minimal, but basically working Guile binding for libgda
> in my Arch repository[1], as part of the guile-gtk project[2], so
> there is a base to build upon. I think adding a scripting language to
> mergeant would carry enormous potential (just think of VBA used in
> Access and add the power of Scheme to that).
>
> [0] The goal was a tool like mergeant, but using C++, built on a
>     self-written software stack genSQL->GDBI->GQL, see
>     http://gensql.sourceforge.net/docs/index.html for some
>     architectural thoughts.
>
> [1] http://www.rhinosaur.lan/~andy/Software.html#gnuarch

oh, this is great! Please keeps us informed of any news on those
bindings. I can't access that page though.