Re: [gnome-db] Proposals for mergeant

On Thu, 2003-12-11 at 18:09, malerba gnome-db org wrote:
> > As mergeant is not really finished yet, these are my ideas about what I
> > would like to see in it, based on my experience with access (love it or
> > loathe it, it is pretty much the standard in desktop DB tools in
> > windows)
> >
> > Database management
> >
> > Create/alter table (if backend supports it)
> > View table
> > Create/amend relationships/RI/joins etc
> >
> > Tables
> > View table
> > Sort/filter table
> >
> > Queries
> >
> > Ability to create queries in app and to see results
> > Gui query tool, with a toggle mode for sql
> > Ability to do multi-field joins in GUI
> > Treat saved queries as table
> >
> > Forms
> >
> > Multi-table forms
> > calculated controls
> > some ablilty to attach scripting code to objects
> >
> > Reports
> >
> > Grouping functions
> > prettification
> > export to html
> >
> > These are my initial ideas - any comments
>

> This is also more or less what I have in mind.
>
> The latest version of Mergeant is 0.12, and I've spent the last months
> making a library (libmergeant) which manages the data dictionnary (the
> tables, views, constraints, etc in the DBMS), queries (any type) and forms
> and tabular views of data.
>
> Rodrigo has started to write a new skeleton for Mergeant (in the frontend/
> directory under the mergeant module in CVS).

I haven't done much more on that, so it needs a lot of work

> I'm currently working on improving libmergeant (with a grid widget to
> enable direct data modification).

no please! That's what we're working on about the updatable data models.
The grid will have support for that, there's no need to write a new one.

Also, Paisa was working on the GnomeDbForm widget, to make it much more
usable for editing data models.

> If you'd like to help, then I can give you some ideas of work to start with.

yes, please, we really need to get mergeant from CVS HEAD to work, or
we'll miss GNOME 2.6. I've myself no time at all recently, but it would
be really nice if somebody could put some work on it.