Re: [gnome-db] Proposals for mergeant

> As mergeant is not really finished yet, these are my ideas about what I
> would like to see in it, based on my experience with access (love it or
> loathe it, it is pretty much the standard in desktop DB tools in
> windows)
>
> Database management
>
> Create/alter table (if backend supports it)
> View table
> Create/amend relationships/RI/joins etc
>
> Tables
> View table
> Sort/filter table
>
> Queries
>
> Ability to create queries in app and to see results
> Gui query tool, with a toggle mode for sql
> Ability to do multi-field joins in GUI
> Treat saved queries as table
>
> Forms
>
> Multi-table forms
> calculated controls
> some ablilty to attach scripting code to objects
>
> Reports
>
> Grouping functions
> prettification
> export to html
>
> These are my initial ideas - any comments

This is also more or less what I have in mind.

The latest version of Mergeant is 0.12, and I've spent the last months
making a library (libmergeant) which manages the data dictionnary (the
tables, views, constraints, etc in the DBMS), queries (any type) and forms
and tabular views of data.

Rodrigo has started to write a new skeleton for Mergeant (in the frontend/
directory under the mergeant module in CVS).

I'm currently working on improving libmergeant (with a grid widget to
enable direct data modification).

If you'd like to help, then I can give you some ideas of work to start with.

Cheers,