Re: [gnome-db] datasources:///

On Fri, 2003-12-05 at 16:53, Adam Tauno Williams wrote:
> So long as DataSources can be reached via preferences:/// I don't think it is a
> make or break deal.  A seperate view or an associated application.  I'm not
> certain how one would present data source configuration in a nautilus view.
> fonts:/// is good, but it is read only.  You can't go there and edit the
> attributes of a font,  I'm not sure how doing such a thing would look.
>
> A nautilus datasource navigator (goining INTO a datasource) would be very
> interesting  (following something like the tree view presented by dbvisualizer)
> and a grid to edit table data.  But I don't know how scalable that would be.
> For instance our database has 769 tables, 121 views, and lord knows how many
> indexes.  Some tables have 3+ million records;  make a simple navigator could
> be tough. {But I'd send pizza to the guy/gal who pulls it off}.  But I'm a huge
> fan of GNOME-VFS and nautilus, so I'm biased toward such a thing.

I don't think it is a good idea to go INTO a data source.  It is too
complex, and it requires an advanced application like mergeant.

IMHO the nautilus view should just:

      * Show an icon for each registered data source.  Clicking on an
        icon could eventually start mergeant, as Vivien proposed, and
        the "Properties" dialog should propose a new tab, allowing user
        to view and change the data source name, provider, connection
        string, etc...  Renaming an icon should rename the data source
        itself.  Deleting an icon should delete the data source itself;

      * Show an "Add new data source" icon.  Clicking on this icon
        should open the libgnomedb data source druid.  This icon
        shouldn't be deletable.

The idea is to replace the gnome-database-properties program, with
something more user-friendly.  It seems fine for me, but I don't know if
it is a good idea, and if it makes sense.

Cheers,

--
Laurent